Our curricular technology team is made up of Brian Paterson and Brad Miller, who are here to help students and faculty with computing, learning management software, presentations, database software, and other digital needs.
Digital Resources: University Supported Applications
- Virtual Microscopy (VMicro): Virtual collection of large scale pathology slides.
- SharePoint: Project Management Web Application assisting with online collaboration
- Office 365: The University of Chicago offers faculty, staff, and students access to Microsoft Office 365. Services range from basics like Word, PowerPoint, and Excel to project management software such as Microsoft Project and application building with PowerApps.
- Symantec Antivirus: Antivirus software available for Faculty, Students, and Staff.
Cisco WebEx Meeting Center Web Conferencing Software: the University of Chicago provides access to the conferencing program Cisco WebEx Meeting Center. Cisco WebEx Meeting Center integrates the web and a conference call, and requires only a web browser. You can control your audio conference from within the WebEx Meeting Center interface. Voice control includes options to mute and unmute participants.
- Note: This program does come at a cost, so be sure to ask ITS about pricing if considering this option.
- Canvas: Canvas is the primary learning management system in use by the University of Chicago.
- Lynda.com: Access a library of over 3,000 video tutorials led by industry professionals. Learn software skills and tips to increase efficiency, personally productivity, and boost your career potential.
Q: I am having trouble accessing cloud-based services UChicago Box or Canvas.
A: First, make sure to set up 2FA. If you have it set up properly and you still cannot get access, reach out to IT Services by phone at 773-702-5800 (2-5800) or by email.
Q: I'm a course director for the Pritzker School of Medicine and need to set up a Canvas course for my upcoming class. Whom should I contact?
A: Contact our curricular team's Learning Technology Specialist, Brad Miller, for Canvas course creation and design. Once the course is created and running, any additional question can be directed to our Learning Technology Specialist or ITS by phone at 773-702-5800 or email.
We also encourage faculty and peer educators new to Canvas to attend one of the many ITS informational workshops to learn about the functionality and application of the program!
Q: How do I change my UCHospitals email password?
A: Navigate here. On the second page where it asks for your username, make sure you select the domain "uchad.uchospitals.edu" from the drop-down menu.
Then, follow the instructions to change your password. Once you have successfully done this, try logging in to the Outlook web-portal again. If you're still having trouble, please contact our Learning Technology Specialist.
Q: My device (laptop, tablet, etc.) is not working; whom should I see to get it fixed?
A: Feel free to visit the Regenstein Library Tech Bar. They can help fix the device, or if it cannot be fixed, recommend another product to suit your needs.
Q: I teach a course in the Pritzker School of Medicine and would like to record a lecture/special event. Whom should I contact?
A: For assistance with lecture capture (our institution uses Panopto), contact our Learning Technology Specialist.
Q: How can I view pre-clinical course schedules?
A: Log into TimePortal to see MS1 and MS2 course schedules. If you have trouble accessing TimePortal, please contact our Learning Technology Specialist.
Q: I’m a medical student and I am having issues with my Pritzker School of Medicine-issued iPad (for the VISTA program). Whom should I contact?
A: For assistance with VISTA-related iPad issues, contact our Learning Technology Specialist.
Q: I would like to utilize the data-analysis resources the University of Chicago has to offer; where should I start?
A: Navigate to the Center for Research Informatics (CRI) site for all your data needs; this includes RedCap, Bioinformatics Core, Clinical Research Data Warehouse, Cohort Discovery, Velos eResearch, and CRI Training.