It is the goal of the Pritzker and NorthShore Fellowship Program to support the development of future leaders in medicine across the spectrum of research, scholarship, and service. The Pritzker School of Medicine will provide financial support to select students ("Fellows") who choose to pursue a one-year research project, international experience, or a community service opportunity.
During the process of renewing our partnership with NorthShore University HealthSystem, the team at NorthShore presented us with a generous gift in recognition of our shared educational mission. This gift is being used to fund an annual NorthShore Fellowship on the same cycle as the Pritzker Fellowships. Preference will be given to students conducting research at NorthShore or under the guidance of NorthShore faculty members, though it is not a requirement.
Requirements of the Fellowship include:
- A commitment to take a year off from medical school studies to work on the intended project during the period of funding.
- Provision of a progress report at six months.
- Final report submitted within one month of completing the fellowship year.
- Presentation of work at one or more forum (Medical Education Day, Research in Progress [RIP], regional or national conference) following completion of the fellowship year.
- Please note: In order to accommodate the needs of all students who wish to take a year off for scholarly opportunities, students who apply for the Pritzker and NorthShore Fellowship and receive support from an external funding source must notify the Pritzker and NorthShore Fellowship Review Committee ASAP (via email@example.com). If the external funding level is similar to the amount offered through the Pritzker and NorthShore Fellowship Program, the Pritzker and NorthShore Fellowship funds will be redistributed accordingly.
Things to know before you apply:
Students selected as Pritzker and NorthShore Fellows will receive $20,000 beginning in July 2019 and continuing throughout the 2019-2020 academic year. Eligible students must have completed at least two years of study at the Pritzker School of Medicine (please note: PhD students are not eligible for the Pritzker/NorthShore Fellowship Program). All applicants must have a faculty sponsor who will provide mentorship and support during this year and ensure the completion of the proposed project. The faculty sponsor does not have to be on the faculty at the University of Chicago or NorthShore University HealthSystem, but must demonstrate the qualifications to mentor the student in a scholarly project. Pritzker and NorthShore Fellows will ultimately present their work in at least one forum, such as the Medical Education Day, Research in Progress (RIP), or a regional or national conference.
Applications are due to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than March 1, 2019. The Pritzker and NorthShore Fellowship application consists of the following:
- Application (Word document)
- Project Statement
- Personal Statement
- Mentor Statement
- CVs of the Faculty Sponsor and the student